Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Beginning

Hey,

My name is Phil and I am a student at University at Buffalo. I am working on starting a Gay Straight Alliance at UB next year and I am starting a blog to get word out.

One of the main goals of the group will be to "bridge the gap" between the GLBT and the straight communities. That is the catch phrase anyway. UBGSA will concern itself with issues that concern the students and student society. Not limited to LGBT issues, but focusing mainly on human rights and human equality on all fronts.

I believe UBGSA is needed, because I believe that if TBGL people are going to live healthy lives and if straight people are going to lead healthy lives and live more colorful lives, the two groups need to work together. Let us assume that 5-10% people are BLTG, if that is true... where are they???? There are some that are active and fighting for their right to exist with the same pride, acceptance and freedom that others enjoy. Where are the others? Hiding, trying to kill the gay part of themselves, unsure of who they can trust, where to start, how to be themselves. There is a problem and it needs to be addressed.

Even completely out-of-the-closet people struggle with knowing how "gay" they can or should be. Should I try to be masculine, feminine, flaming, or low-key? Can I be open with others about how I feel about them? Can I hit on people, without being beat up? Can I be open at work, with my family, in class, or anywhere else?

There are many problems that even the most secure gay people have to address on day-to-day basis, and I know straight people can have plenty of question and concerns on the topic too.

That is all for now, but stay tuned and feel free to email me at ubgsalliance@gmail.com. I will be adding more posts in the future that you may be interested in seeing and reading.

Sincerely,

UBGSA

1st Member Phil

No comments: